List of plants that are edible to humans but poisonous to pets

We often assume that if a plant is safe for human consumption, it must be harmless for our pets as well. However, the world of toxic plants holds surprising secrets, and some seemingly harmless delights for us can pose serious risks to our furry companions. In this article, we will explore the intriguing realm of plants that are edible for humans but poisonous to pets. By shedding light on these unexpected dangers, we hope to help pet owners navigate their surroundings with greater awareness and keep their furry friends safe.

Grapes and raisins

Few can resist the juicy sweetness of grapes or the chewy goodness of raisins. However, for our four-legged friends, these seemingly innocent treats can be treacherous. Grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. 

The danger of grapes does not solely lie in their individual components, but rather in their combination and the impact they have on an animal's body. Each grape variety possesses its own distinct composition, contributing to its specific characteristics. Currently, it remains challenging to determine with certainty which grapes can cause severe intoxication in dogs and which ones may be entirely harmless.

Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic are staples in many kitchens, adding flavor to our favorite dishes. But for pets, these aromatic ingredients can spell trouble. 

Both onions and garlic contain compounds that can damage red blood cells, leading to anemia in cats and dogs. Symptoms of onion and garlic toxicity include weakness, vomiting, and breathing difficulties. Pet owners should be cautious about leaving these ingredients within reach of their curious companions.


Avocados have gained immense popularity for their health benefits and delicious taste. However, for certain animals, such as dogs, cats, and birds, avocados can be hazardous. 

Avocado contains a compound called persin, which can be toxic to these animals. Symptoms of avocado ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Pet owners should exercise caution and refrain from sharing their avocado treats with their furry companions.

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts, often celebrated for their buttery flavor and nutritional value, hide a dark secret when it comes to pets. 

These nuts can cause weakness, tremors, and an elevated body temperature in dogs. While the exact mechanism of toxicity remains unclear, pet owners should avoid sharing macadamia nuts with their furry friends.


While humans enjoy a variety of mushrooms in culinary delights, the world of fungi can be perilous for our pets. Certain mushroom species can be toxic to animals, and identifying the safe from the toxic can be challenging. 

It is crucial to prevent pets from ingesting any wild mushrooms and to consult a veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has consumed any.


While ripe tomatoes are generally safe for pets, it is essential to be cautious about the green parts of the tomato plant. 

The leaves and stems contain solanine, a toxic compound that can cause gastrointestinal upset and, in severe cases, organ damage. Pet owners should ensure that their pets are unable to access the green parts of tomato plants.


Although a bar of chocolate is not technically a plant, it is a widely consumed food item that we feel compelled to address. The PLNT team is dedicated to not only promoting the safety of plants but also safeguarding the well-being of animals.
For humans, chocolate is a heavenly indulgence, but for pets, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. 

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is toxic to animals, particularly dogs. Consumption of chocolate can lead to increased heart rate, tremors, seizures, and even death. It is vital to keep all forms of chocolate out of reach and ensure that accidental ingestion does not occur.

Nature holds fascinating and sometimes dangerous secrets.The list of potential dangers may surprise even the most knowledgeable pet owners. By raising awareness about these unexpected dangers, we can ensure that our pets live in a safe and pet-friendly environment. Remember, if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately for prompt guidance and care. Together, we can protect our furry companions and enjoy a harmonious relationship with the botanical wonders of the world.